Kick start your weight loss with 8 simple steps
You may want to lose weight as fast as you can but the reality is if you lose weight too fast you will put it back on just as fast.
Avoid fad diets and aim to lose 1-2 pounds per week for long term weight loss.
Here are 8 simple steps that will start you on your weight loss journey
1. DRINK MORE COFFEE: Start your day with a cup of coffee, it is a natural diuretic and an excellent source of anti oxidants which protect your cells from damage. According to the dietry guidelines for Americans you can have up to 400mg daily.
Don't drink coffee? Tea is also a natural diuretic and types of tea such as dandelion or fennel root can also lend a hand. In fact when a recent study compared the metabolic effect of Green Tea to that of a placebo researchers found that Green Tea drinkers burned around 70 additional calories in a 24 hour period.
2. SKIP SUGARY DRINKS: Liquid calories don't make us feel as full as we do with real food. Monitor your intake of juices, fizzy drinks, alcohol and sweetened tea and coffee. Alcohol could suppress the metabolism of fat making it harder to burn those calories.
3. TRY SOME LIGHT WEIGHTS: Strength training builds LEAN MUSCLE TISSUE, this burns more calories whether you are resting or working out - 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The more lean muscle you have the more you will slim down.
4. EAT SPICY FOODS - HONESTLY! Capsaicin is a compound found in jalapeno and cayenne peppers and they can slightly increase your bodys release of stress hormones such as adrenaline which can speed up your ability to burn calories PLUS eating hot peppers may slow you down when eating a meal so you stay more mindful of when you're full, you could also add ginger or turmeric
5. KEEP A FOOD DIARY: Alot of research shows that when you log EVERYTHING you eat (especially those who log while eating) are more likely to lose weight and keep it off for the long haul. Start tracking your daily intake in a regular notebook or on one of many popular apps available. Tracking your food helps you to stay accountable for what you have eaten plus you can easily identify where you can improve on what you are ating when it is written out in front of you.
6. GO FOR A WALK: Exercising at any time of the day is good for you BUT evening activities may be more beneficial as many peoples metabolism slows down towards the end of the day. Thirty minutes aerobic activity (not just the dancing type) before dinner increases your metabolic rate and keeps it activated for another 2-3 hours after you have stopped moving.
7. DON'T SKIP MEALS: Skipping meals wont help you lose weight faster. If you are due for a hectic day and think you will struggle to eat a meal, pack some fruit and healthy snacks to stop you going hungry. Going long periods without food slows down your metabolism and you run the risk of binge eating later in the day. make it your mission to eat three meals a day and don't wait longer than three to four hours without eating.
8. IGNORE THE GIMMICKS: There are so many hypes out there and fad diets that guarantee you can "lose 10lbs in 10 days" and many more like this. Desperation will make us try anything from "clean eating" to cutting out certain food groups completely. If you follow a sensible diet and exercise regularly you will certainly be on the road to a longer term weight loss rather than a quick fix.